Monday, June 9, 2008

Cicadas have invaded

For those of you who have never experienced a "cicada season" or have never even heard of a cicada, consider yourself lucky. Growing up in Columbus, I'd heard of cicadas (or as we locals incorrectly called them "locusts"). They were random insects that you could hear in the woods and sometimes during the day, but they were just another insect. See picture below...


In Cincinnati, I have completely lost my innocence regarding these vile prehistoric looking bugs. Even 17 years or so, Cincinnati (I'm sure they are in other parts of the country/world, but I'm focusing on my month of hell here in Cinci) experiences a Cicada season where these bugs crawl out of the ground after hibernating for 17 years and latch themselves to a tree, fence, house - anything they can wrap their little legs on. They soon molt out of their shell (see pic below) and become the big ugly bug you see above.



Now, if these bugs just stayed in the trees and played their music, I would be fine. But, oh no, that would be too easy. Today I experienced Kamikaze cicadas - my windshield will never be the same. As I drove home from work, I felt as if I was under attack. The cicadas would smash into my windshield and leave bug juice running down the glass. If they were small little bugs, no problem, but these are monster bugs. Even turning my radio up full blast, I could block out the sound of the cicadas hitting the car, but I could still feel them. It's going to take me a while to recover. Thankfully, they are only around for a month - or so I'm told. I'm seriously considering taking a month hiatus 17 year's from now to avoid this whole "experience."
Below is my brave niece who excitedly met me at the door and told me that she had caught 13 cicadas at the park and brought them home so she can have cicadas in her backyard 17 years from now. She even demonstrated how one carefully picks up a cicada (should one have the urge to see these things up close and personal).





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sheila...contact Amy at kossick94@yahoo.com. She leave C-bus next Saturday.