Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lost in Translation


While tooling around in the various historical sites, I came across a few signs that caught my attention.


At the Forbidden City, we found a few signs that would fit this category... Here is my favorite. I'm sure the phrase "no scratch" is not what the Chinese were going for in this sign, but it gets the point across... I guess.







This other sign was in the Lama Temple. This is an active Buddhist temple where followers are praying and tourists are snapping pictures and absorbing the atmosphere. One of the many things being "absorbed" was the incense that was being burned in front of the mini-temples throughout the park. I guess that's why I thought this sign was a bit ironic (notice the really big urn to the left of the picture).

No comments: